While Blair Waldorf had her kingdom to rule, her career, and a more-or-less perfect relationship on the side, Serena van der Woodsen had her guys. Throughout high school especially, she was defined by two things: her name and her escapades with various gentlemen callers. Through the six seasons, Serena had countless boyfriends and in between every one she struggled with “finding herself.” In the end, Serena taught us just as much about sex and the city as Sex and City did three years prior. And with that, I’ve compiled a list of 15 lessons S taught us relationships.
1. Blind dates can be okay.
2. And regardless of what kind of date you should always follow this advice.
3. Oh and don’t be afraid to eat.
4. And then when you start falling for someone, it’s okay to completely fall into it.
5. But don’t ever be afraid to ask for what you want.
6. And if the other person messes up, use your best judgement on forgiving them.
7. Also you should never be afraid to ask for forgiveness. Demanding it sometimes is ok too.
8. But if they’re not worth your forgiveness, tell them.
9. Break-ups are hard.
10. Sometimes you hate the person and practice saying this.
11. But then when you see them you say this.
12. So then you go and cry to your best friend.
13. And then you reach the point in the break-up where you know this is the truth.
14. And you become perfectly content with plans like these.
15. Until you find someone who makes every failed past relationship make sense and who makes everything else in life worth it because they’re by your side.
Serena van der Woodsen giving hope to hopeless romantics since 2007.
*originally published on January 28, 2014*